Roasted Beet and Barley Salad with Microgreens, Candied Pistachios and Citrus Vinaigrette
- 2 large beets
- 1/2 cup barley (farro or brown rice also okay - use what you have on hand), rinsed
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup microgreens
- 1/2 cup shaved Pecorino Romano Cheese (could also use shaved parmesan or even feta)
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil (also ok to use half grapeseed or light olive oil for a lighter flavor)
- 1/2 cup raw shelled pistachios
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons maple or cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rub beets all over with olive oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes (depending on size) or until beets are fork tender. When beets are cool enough to handle, rub between two paper towels; skins should come off cleanly. Slice and dice into 1/2-inch chunks and set aside.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook barely according to package instructions. Drain any excess water and set aside to cool. Barley can be made ahead of time and stored in airtight container in the refrigerator.
- For vinaigrette, combine citrus zest and juice, garlic, mustard, and honey in a blender or food process and blend well. Slowly drizzle in oil with machine on the lowest speed until emulsified and evenly pale yellow in color. You can also just shake the ingredients together in a glass jar. This recipe makes enough dressing for about 4 servings; store it in a jar or airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- For candied pistachios, preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Toss pistachios with maple syrup. Sprinkle with sugar and toss to coat. Pour onto a foil-lined baking sheet and spread into a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly colored and crispy.
- To assemble, divide arugula among serving dishes. Top with cool cooked farro. Sprinkle with chopped beets, micro greens, and candied pistachios. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Top with shaved cheese. Serve at room temperature
Recipe adapted from: http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2015/02/roasted-beet-and-farro-salad-with-citrus-vinaigrette.html